Monday, July 10, 2017

¡Feliz 4 de Julio!

Happy Fourth of July! I hope that everyone made up for the fact that for the first time in 19 years, Tanner Anderson wasn't even there to celebrate the independence of his own country. But I celebrated here. In my bed. Cause I was sick. I don't know what happened but I felt like I needed to throw up, and had a fever all day, but the next day, I was mostly better until the night when I almost threw up again. But now I've recuperated all the way!

This week we had something we call a "Cosecha" (harvest) in our zone leader's area. Basically, after District meeting, we went over there, and gathered with the members, and went on splits to go find new investigators. It was good! I went with this kid named Arturo, and I called him "Arturo el duro" which is like, Arturo the strong, haha, I thought it was pretty clever! So, we went out, and started looking for people to contact, and we just went from house to house. For a bit, we just kept getting rejected over, and over, and over, until we found a guy who would listen, and we gave him the whole rundown on the restoration. I'll tell you, I completely agree with Elder Boyd K. Packer when he said "Oh, if I could teach you this one principle. A testimony is to be found in the bearing of it!" Every time I testify of the fact that Joseph Smith really saw the father and the son, and that we have a living prophet today, I feel my testimony of that reality grow stronger. That is one of my favorite parts of teaching, is the opportunity to testify of truth. 

So the cosecha went well, and we had a couple of good lessons! Then for the rest of the week, we continued to work with the investigators that we have. I don't know if I told you guys, but we ended up having to drop Mercedes and Carina. They looked up some anti-mormon stuff, and there are very simple and clear explanations to some of the doubts they expressed, but unless they "Doubt not, but be believing" (Mormon 9:27) they will never come unto a knowledge of the truth. Our other investigators and recent converts are doing well though! Basically the approach we've taken with recent converts is to go and read the Book of Mormon with them. Because the culture here, isn't very conducive to literacy, and doesn't encourage a love for reading, so we want to change that culture at least within the church, and with the Book of Mormon. Also, it's good to help them interpret some things that seem simple to those of us who have grown up in a scripture reading environment. Like Lehi's dream, or all of the Isaiah verses, and to give explanations of who are the twelve tribes, and why sometimes in the scriptures Gentiles is a bad thing, but sometimes it's simply a declaration of nationality. 

Also, this week I was tired of having hair, so I decided to buzz my head. Lol. I look like an egg. Maybe that will help me to not get cat called so much though! Haha, I'll send pictures!


Elder Anderson with Hair


Elder Anderson without hair

Anyway, that was my week! For the month of July, I started reading one chapter from proverbs a day, because there are 31 chapters, and I probably wouldn't ever read them in order otherwise, but I really like some of them! One I really liked was in Proverbs 1

32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

I like that it says that the prosperity of fools shall destroy them. Sometimes Satan allows people to live without difficulty so that they never humble themselves and come to God. The people in the great and spacious building sound like they must have been pretty wealthy, but if we are humble in whatever circumstance, in times of famine, and in times of plenty, we will "dwell in safety, and be quiet from fear of evil". 

I love you all, and I hope you have the best week ever!​
-- 
Love, Elder Anderson


Salazar family



Grandkids of some recent converts




Ocean on p-day



Ocean on p-day



Street art



Street art




No comments:

Post a Comment